[Vision2020] LPI

Bill London london@moscow.com
Sun, 02 Mar 2003 11:15:58 -0800

Looks like it's time for a new acronym.
LPI for Local Public Interest.

In Idaho law now, as I understand it, LPI is relevant in decisions about
water rights.  Local residents can get involved in water rights
decisions if those decisions affect the LPI--the local public interest.
Sounds reasonable, right?  Sounds like a good basic conservative Idaho
kind of idea, that the decisions are based upon what the people impacted
have to say.
Well, LPI may be great for the people involved, but it's not good for
the corporate interests that want to build huge mega-dairies in Southern
Idaho, or clay-mining and irrigated farming ranches in our area.  And
that is why HB 284 is before the Idaho Legislature now.
That House Bill would eliminate the strength of the existing Local
Public Interest rule.  Those who live in the neighborhood of a
mega-dairy or a new Naylor Farms initiative would not be able to include
information about local impact in the decision-making.
At the Idaho Legislature, the House Resources and Environment Committee
will hear HB 284 on Monday.
More information on LPI will be presented at the Moscow Civic
Association meeting on March 10 (7pm at the 1912 Building).
I urge Tom Trail and Shirley Ringo to vote against HB 284 and work to
keep the public in the process.
BL