[Vision2020] MSD Pay and Tenure--a reply

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:14:58 -0700

<P>Dale,</P>
<P><STRONG><U><EM>You keep on with the statistics&nbsp;all you want, but you provide no answers of cutting the&nbsp;budget without cutting opportunities for children. I would be all for&nbsp;"maximizing the dollars we spend" on education. But you have not given one iota of evidence that this is possible. Show in detail to the people of Vision2020 a precise plan of how you can cut spending and still provide the same services to children and educators.</EM></U></STRONG></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>The only thing you have done is prove that inflation is ramped in education and that you can&nbsp;cut programs and save&nbsp;money, in your own words "DUH!". Everyone knows that you can cut education and save taxpayers money.&nbsp;BIG DEAL!. We can also cut fire department spending,&nbsp;law enforcement, road maintenance, parks, and sewage maintenance. SO what, yes ya can! But can you do it without cutting&nbsp;services, if you can, then&nbsp;write it down, otherwise, you are doing nothing but whining and not providing anything new.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR><BR>You wrote: "I will continue to press this point until the liberals acknowledge what the rest of us have known all along -- this isn't *really* about educating children."</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Dale, you are&nbsp;not pressing any point. You are parroting statistics. This proves nothing. You want statistics I will give you some. Moscow ranks second in spending but also ranks second in the state for educational achievement. 100% of all schools that follow your ideology&nbsp;of slashing the budget&nbsp;for schools have been shut down&nbsp;at least one day a week or had to slash opportunities to for children. Teachers with a Masters degree and ten years experience make 1/3 what their counterparts makes in the open market. Idaho spends less then&nbsp;84% of the 50 states on education per pupil. 100% of the people that don't like the MSD can move out of the district and pay nothing to it if they feel it is that horrible. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Here are some other Facts for you to chew on Dale:</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Moscow is the most educated County in the State</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>A child&nbsp;born in Moscow is more likely to achieve a higher level of education</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>A child born and raised in Moscow is more likely to live longer</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>A child born and raised in Moscow is more likely not to do drugs</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Moscow&nbsp;is the most liberal and&nbsp;second most Democratic County in&nbsp;Idaho</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Moscow is the most educated City in Idaho</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Moscow residents&nbsp;are more likely to pass bond levies to support education</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>A Moscow educator can get a job just one mile West and get paid more</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Dale, yes, there are a great deal of things that makes Moscow different then the&nbsp;rest of the educational systems in Idaho. But I think good! Moscow is not the same as the rest of Idaho and&nbsp;that is precisely why I love it and what&nbsp;makes it my home. I don't want Moscow to be like the average city in Idaho for education like you are wanting to do. Have you ever been to an average city in Idaho?&nbsp;That is not what I want Moscow to look and behave like. I want all of our teachers to make 20-75K a year. I think that is great. It is nice to have teachers make a livable wage in a&nbsp;decent city where they can let their children play in the numerous parks we have without fear of them inhaling industrial fumes or being the subject of drug dealings, murder, or being abducted. I love this city, and think it is fine if the money going to schools and not going directly to&nbsp;Math, English, Science, or&nbsp;Reading. There are so many other things that give kids opp!
 ortunities. Did you ever attend MSD? You would know. I hope we continue to support these other programs and give as much to the children&nbsp;and the educators&nbsp;and support them as much as we can. I have no doubt that we could cut spending and at the same time raise scores for children on testing. However, there is more to education and being prepared for the real world and to encourage children that learning is not K-12, but&nbsp;the journey of a lifetime. &nbsp;&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Dale, if you truly want to live in a city that is like any other city in Idaho, I strongly suggest you move there. You think they are all better, then why not move to&nbsp;any other one. The People of Moscow support education because education is what this city is all about. We are not going to cut, we are going to increase spending for, provide more opportunities for the children, and encourage them to expand on their own. No other city in Idaho does this as well. We are&nbsp;NOT good at it because we are looking for ways to slash opportunities for children or the budget, we are good at it because&nbsp;we understand the education is expensive and that the inflation is high&nbsp;to maintain those standards. <EM><STRONG><U>You keep on with the statistics&nbsp;all you want, but you provide no answers of cutting the&nbsp;budget without cutting opportunities for children. I would be all for&nbsp;"maximizing the dollars we spend" on education. But you have not given one iota o!
 f evidence that this possible. I challenge you to do so, not statistics, a plan&nbsp;of action that is more then just "cut the budget. Thanks!</U></STRONG></EM></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>