[Vision2020] Moscow and Water

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:57:10 -0700

To answer your question (by example), Mr. Arnold:

My folks live in Los Angeles.  I was raised in Los Angeles.  California
(especially Southern California) is experiencing "rolling brown-outs".
Brown-outs are a sudden reduction in electricity.  They are caused by a lack
of sufficient power sources to provide electricity.  Having grown up in
Southern California, I know that Los Angeles is heavily dependent upon the
Colorado River for water (that produces electricity).  There are six other
states that depend upon the Colorado River for hydro-electricity.

To (finally) make a long story short, Southern California has been growing
in population constantly for a long, long time.  The "powers that be" in
Southern California for all that time were not concerned with the future.
They refused to see beyond next year.  As a result, the population has been
out-growing its support systems, hence "brown-outs".

Moscow may be on a smaller scale, but the principal is the same.  We MUST
protect the aquifer.

Take care,

P.S. -  For your general information, as a result of a recent major court
decision, Southern California will be receiving 16% less water from the
Colorado River in Fiscal Year 2004.