[Vision2020] Usenet USA Libel Suit?

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:52:17 +0000

Dale et. al.

So according to the facts you presented, First Step cannot be sued for the
appearance of libelous material via V2020 if they are made aware of it and
the material is removed from the archives.  Of course the damage to
reputation and livelihood may have already occurred, so basically First Step
is still off the hook for this damage.  This was my point about ISPs being
immune from libel suit.  The person who posted the libelous material on
V2020 might be held legally accountable though.  All First Step must do is
remove the material from the archives, and no suit against them proceeds,
though actionable libelous material might have been distributed via V2020.

This was my understanding.

Therefore a lawsuit against First Step will not prevent anyone from
continuing to post potentially liable material, and First Step has no
obligation to prevent potentially libelous material from being distributed,
only to remove it from the archives once they are made aware of it.

Perhaps if someone took out an ad in the Daily News, and informed V2020 also
on the list, and directly to First Step management, that they were going to
post on V2020 scandalous lies etc. about someone whose reputation and
livelihood would be likely damaged by the distribution of this info.  And if
they also gave the e-mail address and name under which they were going to
register with V2020, would First Step then have a legal obligation to block
this libelous material from appearing via V2020?

For 100 dollars an hour you can have a lawyer answer this question.  To
expect local lawyers to give out free legal advice on V2020 is be an
idealist of the most extreme kind.  Ha!

I believe some thought that First Step had a before the fact legal
obligation to prevent potentially libelous material from being distributed
via V2020, which in fact I think they do not, unless the unusual example I
gave, or one like it, applies.

Thanks for your info.

Ted