[Vision2020] Re: enough... MSD Pay and Tenure

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:50:27 -0700

Ted wrote:
> I think there are numerous issues that render legal action against First
> Step for V2020 content problematic.
>
> 1)  All content is sent to private computer accounts when posted via a
> non-commercial discussion group, not presented in public like a newspaper
on
> the newsstands, or even on a commercial web site making money off the
> content where the site is intended for view by any and all people with a
> huge audience.

Except that it is hosted on a publically available website:
http://lists2.fsr.net/pipermail/vision2020/

> 2)  The account holders voluntarily choose to receive the content, and can
> stop the content at any time.  No one should be surprised by what may be
> posted on a free public discussion group where content is offered freely
by
> individuals.

Except that it is hosted on a publically available website:
http://lists2.fsr.net/pipermail/vision2020/

> 3)  A person who goes to the V2020 archives on the web must go through
> numerous steps to read the content, that is presented with no pretension
> from First Step that they are providing pre-screened factual news or
> information.

Not true. An  Altavista search will send you directly to content in the
archive. For example, my posts on MSD:
http://www.altavista.com/web/results?pg=aq&avkw=xytx&filetype=&aqmode=b&aqb=courtney+near+vision2020+near+MSD&aqs=&kgs=0&kls=1

> 4)  V2020 is NOT moderated!  I'm not sure why you mentioned Bill London as
> "moderator."

The list doesn't need to be moderated for the "distributor" to be libelous.

> 5)  If a web site can be sued and shut down for libel for content offered
> freely by individuals in a discussion format, Google would be shut down
NOW,
> because Google hosts Usenet newsgroups, where you can find the most
> astonishing lies and profanity about any and all subjects and persons,
along
> with mostly sincere and honest offerings, posted freely by individuals on
> Usenet.  Vision2020 is similar to a Usenet newsgroup in some respects

That's why Yahoo! Groups has moderators who are responsible for libelous
content.

Best,
Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho