[Vision2020] Is it a right.......

Mark Rounds ltrwritr@moscow.com
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 00:06:27 -0700 (PDT)

Folks

I concur with Tom.  In my humble opinion, Mr. Stambler is involved in
character assassination and that is wrong.  He has threatened me with
lawsuits and my friends with worse, but we are not Judge and Jury.

I would suggest in the strongest possible terms that Doug Wilson pursue
legal options as it is in the courts that one can get a court orders to
cover such things.  Perhaps in the bargaining that occurs during such
proceedings, Mr. Stambler can be persuaded to get the help he needs.

The other option to pursue is to convert this to a moderated listserve and
require everyone to pass muster with a published list of requirements to
join.  Membership then goes from a right to a priviledge.  I am a member of
several groups like that and it works fine, but, if that is the way we go,
don't kid yourselves that this is still a free and open forum.

Then there is the technical side.  We can ban all the net adresses we have
for him but we can't keep him off.  Net addresses are easy to get and even
if you pass requirements that would cost him time or money.  For all his
bombast, he is smart and the tools to hack e-mail addresses and the like are
on the web if you know where to look.

Please remember that he is intentionally pushing our buttons.  Everytime you
acknowledge DS, everytime you get angry at him, speak to or at or about him,
he is manipulating you to get what he wants which is attention. Please think
about that before you respond to or about him.  You all certainly have the
right to express you opinions about him, his eating habits, and the like but
each time you do, it plays into his mental illness and your aren't helping
him or us.

One last note, this is tame in comparision to some flame wars I have
witnessed on the web.   The concept of lawsuit is freely tossed around in
those discussions as well as threats of physical damage, sexual assault and
the like and while individuals can and have certainly been successfully
prosecuted and/or sued, the ISP has always been held blameless in such
instances.  The only time an ISP caves is when they figure the expense of
the various lawsuits becomes a financial burden.

I have said too much and won't comment on this round of "ban the boob" again.

Mark ROunds