[Vision2020] enough... MSD Pay and Tenure

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:08:50 +0000

Dale et. al.

I think there are numerous issues that render legal action against First
Step for V2020 content problematic.

1)  All content is sent to private computer accounts when posted via a
non-commercial discussion group, not presented in public like a newspaper on
the newsstands, or even on a commercial web site making money off the
content where the site is intended for view by any and all people with a
huge audience.

2)  The account holders voluntarily choose to receive the content, and can
stop the content at any time.  No one should be surprised by what may be
posted on a free public discussion group where content is offered freely by
individuals.

3)  A person who goes to the V2020 archives on the web must go through
numerous steps to read the content, that is presented with no pretension
from First Step that they are providing pre-screened factual news or
information.

4)  V2020 is NOT moderated!  I'm not sure why you mentioned Bill London as a
"moderator."

5)  If a web site can be sued and shut down for libel for content offered
freely by individuals in a discussion format, Google would be shut down NOW,
because Google hosts Usenet newsgroups, where you can find the most
astonishing lies and profanity about any and all subjects and persons, along
with mostly sincere and honest offerings, posted freely by individuals on
Usenet.  Vision2020 is similar to a Usenet newsgroup in some respects

I have been slammed on Usenet newsgroups before, and I got all steamed up
over it, till I found out that the individual doing it had been at his evil
task for a long time, targeting numerous other Usenet users.  I just ignored
him after that, knowing that those following the newsgroup knew he was a
crank.  This is the best approach, as Janesta Sullivan indicated on
vision2020 today.

The solution might be to have a moderator for V2020, like many Usenet
newsgroups.  I am not sure if this idea is possible.

BTW, I carefully read your analysis of MSD teacher pay, promotion process,
tenure award, etc.  I agree that it appears from what you presented that
public school teachers should not be offered tenure so quickly, and pay
raises should be more tied to performance.

But I do not agree that the problems with public education prove that more
money could not help public education.  More money spent in the right way
might help improve public schools.  Just because some of the money in public
education is not spent wisely does not prove that any future increases in
spending are certainly to be wasted.

Ted