[Vision2020] Myth of smaller class sizes

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam@hotmail.com
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:05:09 -0700

<P>I really try not to participate in this particular discussion except to say "public schools" when Dale uses the term "government school," but I wanted to add one little piece of information.</P>
<P>Dale talks about how schools in Singapore produce excellent results in science education in&nbsp;large classes.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since I lived in Malaysia for many years, I actually know something about the school systems there; I will wager that the same holds true for Hong Kong, and possibly Japan and Korea, but I don't want to risk the formula money on those two.</P>
<P>Malaysia&nbsp;and Singapore both use the English model, with students&nbsp;taking an exam&nbsp;at the end of&nbsp;Form 3, or Ninth Grade.&nbsp; [there may be some other streaming earlier, but I'm not sure.] Those who do well in math and&nbsp;the science subjects go into the Science Stream&nbsp;and the others go into the Arts stream.&nbsp; The Science stream students typically will take Math, calculus, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, English and a second language.&nbsp; In the Arts stream students will take English, maybe English Lit, a comprehensive science course (Chemistry, Physics, Biology, but a lower level than the students in the science stream), history, and geography.&nbsp; At the end of Form 5 (11th grade) they all take a major exam, the results of which will determine if they get to go for two years of Form 6 and yet another exam, but with fewer subjects this time.</P>
<P>Most middle class families&nbsp;also send their kids to private tuition&nbsp;courses, after school.&nbsp; Do they do this because the schools are deficient, or because they want to make sure their kids have the best chance to go on?&nbsp; Some of each, I'm sure, probably more of the latter factor.&nbsp; There are lots of these private places, and they are packed.&nbsp; I know, I've been to them: I was the kid in the back with glasses staring at the blackboard and thinking, "I still don't get it."</P>
<P>I don't think we can simply say that schools in that part of the world do fine with large classes without considering the extra work students there are doing.&nbsp; There's a lot of emphasis on the sciences in the science stream, and there's also one extra year of education before university.&nbsp; I'll bet most of the Asian students here were in the science stream.</P>
<P>Having been through that system, having gone to public and private schools, I still think we're better off here.&nbsp; Doors don't get shut on kids here the way they are in places where kids are streamed too early.</P>
<P>Just my two cents,</P>
<P>Sunil </P>
<P>p.s. "Public schools"</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>