[Vision2020] Internet Etiquette on Public Archived List Serves

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:39:03 +0000

Bruce et. al.

No stone knives and bearskins are advocated.

Tom Hansen's suggestion that Dale get his own storage where he can make
available large files via a link on vision2020 seems reasonable to me.  One
of Dale's graphs posted on vision2020 was a whopping 1.5 megs, though Dale
said this was a mistake.  The day this graph was sent it shut my e-mail
down!  Hotmail has only 2 megs of available space.

Can you imagine what would happen to many people's e-mail inbox if numerous
vision2020 participants posted files this large?  You seem to disregard the
fact this is a public archived list serve. The download time is not the
issue.   Not everyone using vision2020 has huge e-mail inbox storage
capacity, this is the point.  And vision2020 posts are also archived, so
somewhere there is storage for the archived vision2020 list.

Dale's recent post in question that I suggested did not need to be as large
as it was, could easily have been sent as a much smaller plain text e-mail
and still provided Dale with the means to make all the wonderful points he
made.

It is common internet etiquette to keep public archived postings on usenet
etc. to the smallest size needed to communicate what is required.

I easily could post much "fancier" e-mails, but I deliberately chose the
plain text format to reduce e-mail size.  If I had some very good reason to
use a more HTML intensive e-mail format I might.

Dale is of course free to do whatever he wishes with the absence of any
monitor for vision2020.

Ted