[Vision2020] MSD trends

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 12:35:32 -0700

<P>Yeah, I know Saundra, :(</P></DIV>
<P>My Mom is&nbsp;President of the Idaho Disabilities Association. It also costs about $2000 to get tested as well and the test results are only good for about 4 years. Like people in Idaho have that kind of money. The Republicans tried about five years ago to shut down the independent living homes programs for the disabled in Idaho. My Grandmother bought one of the homes for them on 6th street here in Moscow. The Idaho Government tried to say that they could all go and live at home or learn to take care of themselves. My Mom and Uncle threatened to drop some of the disabled individuals with a group of volunteers to the homes of the congress members that voted to do so since they had no family in the state of Idaho with the economic means to take of them. After they found out they were serious about dropping people off on their door steps (some that could not even go to bathroom by themselves) they decided to keep funding the program. Some of these people are sick and would !
 sooner kill the child then educate them if they thought they could get away with it and save a buck.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Donovan J. Arnold</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Saundra Lund" <SSLUND@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "'Donovan Arnold'" <DONOVANARNOLD@HOTMAIL.COM>, <DALE@COURTNEYS.US>, <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: [Vision2020] MSD trends
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 11:42:05 -0700
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Mr. Arnold wrote:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"1)What percentage of these children are disabled 15 years ago vs.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;today?"
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Well, I hate to be a cynic, but I don't think it really matters because
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"today's" numbers are likely to drop with the horrifying weakening of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;IDEA by HB 1350 (passed 4/30/03), particularly by the Shadegg Amendment
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;which will limit the number of children referred for special education
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;services by requiring a visit to a physician and ***state approved***
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;health official to certify a child as disabled. Specifically, Shadegg's
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Amendment stated:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"Expressing the sense of Congress and finds that students are
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;over-identified and misidentified as students with disabilities.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Therefore students should not be classified as being disabled without
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;having been judged by a physician and state health board."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Yeah . . . right.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Not surprisingly, Idaho's shame continues since both Otter &amp; Simpson
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;(both Republicans, BTW) voted in support of eroding the educational
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;protections/rights of disabled children. It's not enough for Idaho
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;(conservatives) to rape &amp; pillage education on the state level --
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;they've got to participate in it at the national level as well. <SIGH>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Saundra Lund
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Moscow, Idaho
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;do nothing.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Edmund Burke