[Vision2020] Common Sense

Cjsnightclub@aol.com Cjsnightclub@aol.com
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 14:56:19 EDT

--part1_117.2440f138.2c0ba653_boundary

It is utterly amazing to me when some people compare our area with others in
regard to teachers salaries. They compare milk and bread. These geniuses need
to compare some important data:

1) Most of us here live in the confines of a six and a 1/2 month economy. Not
12.

2) Number of tax payers per teacher and average incomes of those tax payers
that are taxable.

3) Number of students per teacher.

4)  Housing expense, ex: 2 bedroom apartment in Moscow $450.00 - $525.00. 2
bedroom apartment in Southern California (non slum) average like around here,
$1,200 - 1,400.00 per month.

5) Utilities for an apartment around here runs $60-$100.00 per month. In
California it is $200.00 per month without air. You do need air for 330 days a
year. So that moves your utility cost to $450.00 per month.

6) Car Insurance here is 50% less expensive and sometimes more, depending on
the car.

   I don't understand how you can really compare and put a price on the air
quality. You know? It definitely has value. Living in Los Angeles I had air
purifiers in my home and car because it is so bad. Just breathing the air is
equivalent to smoking two packs of cigarettes a day.

   Crime! In those areas that you are comparing wages to our teachers is so
bad some of the teachers should and probably do wear bullet proof vests and
pray there car has it's tires. Or that it is even there.

   Most of us in Moscow could go to a large city and make 2-4 times what we
earn here. There is a price we all must pay to live here. Air is good. Crime is
almost non existent (thanks Dan Weaver) housing is reasonable and utilities
are fairly priced.

   If you don't like the pay - move. You don't want to teach - don't. It is a
chosen profession. You have freedom of choice. Act on it. You want big pay?
Move to where you think it is big pay. When all the numbers are crunched you
are going to be right here in the same position.

   School budget repair:

1)  Class size increased to 30 students. (We had better test scores with more
students per class)

2) Combine the two elementary schools into one.

3) Teachers double their Union dues. Make the Union happy.

4) All excess overhead gets pink slips. (Just like the real world. Being a
teacher is no job guarantee for life. None of the rest of us have that
assurance.)

5) Remaining teachers get a 15% raise.

6) No new levies! Schools must live in budget.

7) Remaining cash flow to accumulate to buy new High School and expand the
student experience with computers, etc.

Phil Roderick

--part1_117.2440f138.2c0ba653_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">It is utterly amazing to me when some people compare o=
ur area with others in regard to teachers salaries. They compare milk and br=
ead. These geniuses need to compare some important data:<BR>
<BR>
1) Most of us here live in the confines of a six and a 1/2 month economy. No=
t 12.<BR>
<BR>
2) Number of tax payers per teacher and average incomes of those tax payers=20=
that are taxable.<BR>
<BR>
3) Number of students per teacher.<BR>
<BR>
4)&nbsp; Housing expense, ex: 2 bedroom apartment in Moscow $450.00 - $525.0=
0. 2 bedroom apartment in Southern California (non slum) average like around=
 here, $1,200 - 1,400.00 per month.<BR>
<BR>
5) Utilities for an apartment around here runs $60-$100.00 per month. In Cal=
ifornia it is $200.00 per month without air. You do need air for 330 days a=20=
year. So that moves your utility cost to $450.00 per month.<BR>
<BR>
6) Car Insurance here is 50% less expensive and sometimes more, depending on=
 the car.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't understand how you can really compare and put a price o=
n the air quality. You know? It definitely has value. Living in Los Angeles=20=
I had air purifiers in my home and car because it is so bad. Just breathing=20=
the air is equivalent to smoking two packs of cigarettes a day. <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; <B>Crime! </B>In those areas that you are comparing wages to ou=
r teachers is so bad some of the teachers should and probably do wear bullet=
 proof vests and pray there car has it's tires. Or that it is even there.<BR=

<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Most of us in Moscow could go to a large city and make 2-4 time=
s what we earn here. There is a price we all must pay to live here. Air is g=
ood. Crime is almost non existent (thanks Dan Weaver) housing is reasonable=20=
and utilities are fairly priced.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; If you don't like the pay - move. You don't want to teach - don=
't. It is a chosen profession. You have freedom of choice. Act on it. You wa=
nt big pay? Move to where you think it is big pay. When all the numbers are=20=
crunched you are going to be right here in the same position.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><B>&nbsp;&nbsp; School budge=
t repair:<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"></B><BR>
1)&nbsp; Class size increased to 30 students. (We had better test scores wit=
h more students per class)<BR>
<BR>
2) Combine the two elementary schools into one.<BR>
<BR>
3) Teachers double their Union dues. Make the Union happy.<BR>
<BR>
4) All excess overhead gets pink slips. (Just like the real world. Being a t=
eacher is no job guarantee for life. None of the rest of us have that assura=
nce.)<BR>
<BR>
5) Remaining teachers get a 15% raise.<BR>
<BR>
6) No new levies! Schools must live in budget.<BR>
<BR>
7) Remaining cash flow to accumulate to buy new High School and expand the s=
tudent experience with computers, etc.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Phil Roderick</FONT></HTML>

--part1_117.2440f138.2c0ba653_boundary--