[Vision2020] MSD trends

Saundra Lund sslund@moscow.com
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 11:42:05 -0700

Mr. Arnold wrote:
"1)What percentage of these children are disabled 15 years ago vs.
today?"

Well, I hate to be a cynic, but I don't think it really matters because
"today's" numbers are likely to drop with the horrifying weakening of
IDEA by HB 1350 (passed 4/30/03), particularly by the Shadegg Amendment
which will limit the number of children referred for special education
services by requiring a visit to a physician and ***state approved***
health official to certify a child as disabled.  Specifically, Shadegg's
Amendment stated:
"Expressing the sense of Congress and finds that students are
over-identified and misidentified as students with disabilities.
Therefore students should not be classified as being disabled without
having been judged by a physician and state health board."

Yeah . . . right.

Not surprisingly, Idaho's shame continues since both Otter & Simpson
(both Republicans, BTW) voted in support of eroding the educational
protections/rights of disabled children.  It's not enough for Idaho
(conservatives) to rape & pillage education on the state level --
they've got to participate in it at the national level as well.  <sigh>

Saundra Lund
Moscow, Idaho

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to
do nothing.
Edmund Burke