[Vision2020] Logical Error! Letter to the Editor: Teacher salary article

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:26:39 -0700

Don Kaag answered my question off-list and has kindly agreed to allow me to
post my reply on-list.

I wrote:

>> Recall, we base teacher pay on a) years taught and b) college credits
>> completed. But:
>>
>> a. Research shows that only 4-5 years of teacher experience
>> contributes to student learning. Experience beyond that has no payoff
>> except in pay.
>> b. Pedagogy credits don't contribute to learning. Advanced degrees are
>> productive only at the secondary level and in the subject being taught.
>> Credits are used mostly to climb the salary grid.
>>
>> Because there's no easy way to get rid of a teacher once he/she has
>> "tenure"
>> (what is it now, Don Kaag, the 5-year point?), they are along for the
>> E-ticket ride to the end.

Don replied:
> The tenure point is three years.

Now, this is a two-fold can of worms.

First, tenure for a school teacher after only 3 years. I don't think
*anyone* would argue that the first 3 years demonstrates someone's lifelong
ability to teach.

Second, once tenured, it is *extremely* difficult to get rid of someone.
Incompetence is especially difficult to document and pursue; as is lack of
motivation.

> And tenure, as it is at the
> university level, is essential to academic freedom, to
> protect teachers from arbitrary firing by administrators
> and/or unfair witch hunts by parents.

I have a major problem with thinking that a 1st grade teacher needs
"academic freedom".

The whole purpose of "Academic Freedom" is to allow "freedom in research and
in the publication of the results" (quoting the AAUP by-laws) and "when they
speak or write as citizens, they should be free from institutional
censorship or discipline."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how this at *all* applies to
primary school teachers.

There are processes that are available to everyone in the rest of the
working world to protect them from arbitrary firings and discrimination.
IMO, tenure for government school teachers (especially at the 3 year-point!)
is dysfunctional.

I'll have more to say about this later, but all of the things that I've
addressed are not in any way peculiar to MSD. This is a dysfunction with
government education in general.

Best,
Dale

Best,