[Vision2020] Fiscal Failures at Charter Schools

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:14:57 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_006E_01C355DB.D08F8010

Recently, the Thomas B. Fordham Institute did a review of charter school
overseers. Check out:
<http://www.edexcellence.net/tbfinstitute/authorizers.html>
http://www.edexcellence.net/tbfinstitute/authorizers.html

Note #1: Idaho Charter schools were not part of the study because they were
deemed to have insufficient legal or fiscal autonomy so that they it was
questionable as to whether they should be called charter schools at all. The
law allowing charter schools in Idaho was so loaded with strings that there
is some question as to their ability to operate independently.

Note #2: the Moscow Education Association, at one of their recent meetings,
discussed ways of shutting down the local charter schools to force students
back into the public schools to increase state aid.

Rose, I wish you the best in trying to resolve these issues. It could be a
watershed action in Moscow.

Best,
Dale

  _____