[Vision2020] Logical Error! Letter to the Editor: Teacher salary article

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 03:43:54 +0000

Dale, Don et. al.

I have discovered several logical errors in Dale's arguments regarding
teacher pay.

Dale asserts that teachers pay should be "annualized" to truly reflect what
they could earn over the course of a full year as if two months of extra pay
were tacked on to their yearly salary by dividing their salary by ten and
multiplying this figure by 2 for the extra two months.  But in fact if
teachers are required to attend summer school during this "off" time, part
of the requirements of their profession negates the possibility they could
work full time during this "off" period, so in fact it is not correct to
claim their salary must be annualized for a true estimate of their income
compared to other professions.

Also, Dale's referencing of the concept of "opportunity costs" is in some
cases backwards from what it appears he intends to assert via the use of
this concept.  If a teacher must take summer school during the summer 2
month break from the regular school year as a requirement of their
profession, and their next best alternative would be to work a well paying
job during this 2 month period instead, the "opportunity cost" of summer
school is in part the loss of the income that could have been generated by
working during summer school.

Therefore the "opportunity cost" argument, in this case of a teacher who
must attend summer school as a requirement of their profession, leads to
subtracting the money they might have made in the two month break from the
regular school year, and does not support the argument that these teachers
salaries must be annualized for accuracy in comparisons with other
professions.  In this example, the "opportunity cost" of summer school is
less income earned during that year for the teacher compared to what they
could earn if they truly "worked" a full 12 months.  The teacher MUST take
the summer school courses, and thus loses the income that might otherwise be
generated during this time.

Of course, in the case of a teacher who can take a two month summer
vacation, with no penalty to their career, then Dale's concept of
"opportunity costs" would reinforce his argument, considering that the
"opportunity cost" of the summer vacation could be income generated by a
good paying job during this time period which is lost by going on vacation.
In this example it might be fair to annualize the teachers pay to do a
comparison between their pay and the pay of other professions.

Read the passage below and see the link Dale supplied on "opportunity costs"
in regards to my arguments above.

Ted

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/OpportunityCost.html).