[Vision2020] city tazes

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:23:18 -0700

> The answer isn't to tax the students and/or visitors to Moscow - the
> answer is to develop the business community in this town. These entities
> require the minimum amount of increased services (fire, hospital, water,
> garbage, etc...) and thus have the highest return on investment for
> their taxes.
>
> However, this takes a long term commitment in a wide range of areas.

Bill,

The problem with this logic is that there is a vocal minority that is
anti-business in Moscow. If you are going to be anti-business, and yet want
to increase the amount of cash coming into the city coffers, that forces you
(in a college town) to raise the property taxes.

Phil's Email concerning this was right-on the money. Our politicians (and
we) need to learn to live within our means -- and not try "keeping up with
the Joneses".

Best,
Dale