[Vision2020] Re: Bible in school. Was Church and state

Thomas Hansen tomh@uidaho.edu
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:34:30 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35233.BF74ABD0

No need to look, Mr. Moffett.  It took me all of 34.16 seconds to find:

http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/religion/index.html
<http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/religion/index.html>

It seems that UCLA has a department dedicated to this.

Tom Hansen

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Nielsen [mailto:nielsen@uidaho.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 3:19 PM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: [Vision2020] Re: Bible in school. Was Church and state

From: Joshua Nieuwsma <joshuahendrik@yahoo.com>

Date: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:47:12 PM US/Pacific

To: vision <vision2020@moscow.com>

Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Church and State

I for one don't want to see a bible class taught alongside mormonism, islam,
hinduism, buddhism, and any other -'isms. Why set the Word of God equal with
the words of confused man? Take the Bible out of the public schools
completely! It's about time the goals of public education were consistent
with their practices. And while we're at it, kick the Christian children
out, too. Their parents should have have pulled them out a long time ago.
It's safer outside on the highway than in the government school classroom.

        <snip>

Allow me also to take Mr. Moffett's statement about religion as an integral
part of some classes and point out that it is impossible for any class or
"subject" (though the idea of "subjects" is a bad one anyhow. It's not how
the mind works, in my opinion) to be taught with direct foundation in God's
Holy Word.

Mr. Moffett, your ecumenism of having every religion in a class taught about
seems merely a grand utopia. Can you think of any schools that have
successfully implemented such a plan anywhere in the world, without strife
and division, or an undue emphasis of one religion over another?

cheers,

Joshua N.

Dear Joshua:

        First of all, a lesson in grammar. Mormonism, Islam, Hinduism, etc.
are proper nouns. They require a capital letter whether you like them or
not. The same is true of the Bible, which is under discussion here. It is a
proper noun, not a generic term.

        Although many religions claim they have the true Word of God, none
of them have any objective proof. Religious warfare has been around for
centuries and is still with us today. A few days ago I asked (your brother?)
Luke for an official divine definition of exactly what constitutes "God's
Holy Word, the Bible." We are still waiting. The reason is that all holy
books have been written and compiled by human beings, usually men.

        I am personally well acquainted with the Bible. I have a couple of
dozen different translations, languages, and versions on my shelves. I also
have copies of various other allegedly divine books. Once you realize that
they are all of entirely human origin, you soon feel that none of them is
worth a single drop of blood.

        Go in peace.

        Ralph Nielsen

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35233.BF74ABD0

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=466343222-24072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>No
need to look, Mr. Moffett.&nbsp; It took me all of 34.16 seconds to
find:</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=466343222-24072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=466343222-24072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><A
href="http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/religion/index.html">http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/religion/index.html</A></FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=466343222-24072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=466343222-24072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>It
seems that UCLA has a department dedicated to this.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=466343222-24072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=466343222-24072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Tom
Hansen</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Ralph Nielsen
  [mailto:nielsen@uidaho.edu]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, July 24, 2003 3:19
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> vision2020@moscow.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> [Vision2020] Re:
  Bible in school. Was Church and state<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <P><B>From:</B> Joshua Nieuwsma &lt;joshuahendrik@yahoo.com&gt; </P>
  <P><B>Date:</B> Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:47:12 PM US/Pacific </P>
  <P><B>To:</B> vision &lt;vision2020@moscow.com&gt; </P>
  <P><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Vision2020] Church and State </P><BR><BR>
  <P>I for one<B> don't</B> want to see a bible class taught alongside
  mormonism, islam, hinduism, buddhism, and any other -'isms. Why set the Word
  of God equal with the words of confused man?&nbsp;Take the Bible out of the
  public schools completely!&nbsp;It's about time the goals of public
  education&nbsp;were consistent with their practices. And while we're at it,
  kick the Christian children&nbsp;out, too. Their parents should have
  have&nbsp;pulled them out a&nbsp;long time&nbsp;ago. It's safer outside on
  the<I> highway</I> than in the government school classroom.&nbsp; </P>
  <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;snip&gt;&nbsp; </P>
  <P>Allow me also to take Mr. Moffett's statement about religion as an integral
  part of<I> some</I> classes and point out&nbsp;that it is<I> impossible</I>
  for any class or "subject" (though the idea of "subjects" is a bad one anyhow.
  It's not how the mind works, in my opinion) to be taught with direct
  foundation in God's Holy Word. </P>
  <P> </P>
  <P>Mr. Moffett, your ecumenism of having every religion in a class taught
  about seems&nbsp;merely a grand utopia. Can you think of any schools that have
  successfully implemented such a plan anywhere in the world, without strife and
  division, or an undue emphasis of one religion over another? </P>
  <P> </P>
  <P>cheers, </P>
  <P> </P>
  <P>Joshua N. </P><BR><BR>
  <P>Dear Joshua: </P>
  <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; First of all, a lesson in
  grammar. Mormonism, Islam, Hinduism, etc. are proper nouns. They require a
  capital letter whether you like them or not. The same is true of the Bible,
  which is under discussion here. It is a proper noun, not a generic term. </P>
  <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Although many religions claim
  they have the true Word of God, none of them have any objective proof.
  Religious warfare has been around for centuries and is still with us today. A
  few days ago I asked (your brother?) Luke for an official divine definition of
  exactly what constitutes "God's Holy Word, the Bible." We are still waiting.
  The reason is that all holy books have been written and compiled by human
  beings, usually men. </P>
  <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am personally well acquainted
  with the Bible. I have a couple of dozen different translations, languages,
  and versions on my shelves. I also have copies of various other allegedly
  divine books. Once you realize that they are all of entirely human origin, you
  soon feel that none of them is worth a single drop of blood. </P>
  <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Go in peace. </P>
  <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Ralph
Nielsen</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35233.BF74ABD0--