[Vision2020] Re: Bible in school. Was Church and state

Ralph Nielsen nielsen@uidaho.edu
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:18:33 -0700

--Apple-Mail-6--826464777

> From: Joshua Nieuwsma <joshuahendrik@yahoo.com>
> Date: Thu Jul 24, 2003  1:47:12 PM US/Pacific
> To: vision <vision2020@moscow.com>
> Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Church and State
>

> I for one don't want to see a bible class taught alongside mormonism,=20=

> islam, hinduism, buddhism, and any other -'isms. Why set the Word of=20=

> God equal with the words of confused man?=A0Take the Bible out of the=20=

> public schools completely!=A0It's about time the goals of public=20
> education=A0were consistent with their practices. And while we're at =
it,=20
> kick the Christian children=A0out, too. Their parents should have=20
> have=A0pulled them out a=A0long time=A0ago. It's safer outside on the=20=

> highway than in the government school classroom.=A0
> 	<snip>=A0
> Allow me also to take Mr. Moffett's statement about religion as an=20
> integral part of some classes and point out=A0that it is impossible =
for=20
> any class or "subject" (though the idea of "subjects" is a bad one=20
> anyhow. It's not how the mind works, in my opinion) to be taught with=20=

> direct foundation in God's Holy Word.
> =A0
> Mr. Moffett, your ecumenism of having every religion in a class taught=20=

> about seems=A0merely a grand utopia. Can you think of any schools that=20=

> have successfully implemented such a plan anywhere in the world,=20
> without strife and division, or an undue emphasis of one religion over=20=

> another?
> =A0
> cheers,
> =A0
> Joshua N.

Dear Joshua:
	First of all, a lesson in grammar. Mormonism, Islam, Hinduism, =
etc.=20
are proper nouns. They require a capital letter whether you like them=20
or not. The same is true of the Bible, which is under discussion here.=20=

It is a proper noun, not a generic term.
	Although many religions claim they have the true Word of God, =
none of=20
them have any objective proof. Religious warfare has been around for=20
centuries and is still with us today. A few days ago I asked (your=20
brother?) Luke for an official divine definition of exactly what=20
constitutes "God's Holy Word, the Bible." We are still waiting. The=20
reason is that all holy books have been written and compiled by human=20
beings, usually men.
	I am personally well acquainted with the Bible. I have a couple =
of=20
dozen different translations, languages, and versions on my shelves. I=20=

also have copies of various other allegedly divine books. Once you=20
realize that they are all of entirely human origin, you soon feel that=20=

none of them is worth a single drop of blood.
	Go in peace.
	Ralph Nielsen=

--Apple-Mail-6--826464777

<bold>Date: </bold>Thu Jul 24, 2003  1:47:12 PM US/Pacific

<bold>To: </bold>vision <<vision2020@moscow.com>

<bold>Subject: </bold>Re: [Vision2020] Church and State

I for one <bold>don't</bold> want to see a bible class taught
alongside mormonism, islam, hinduism, buddhism, and any other -'isms.
Why set the Word of God equal with the words of confused man?=A0Take the
Bible out of the public schools completely!=A0It's about time the goals
of public education=A0were consistent with their practices. And while
we're at it, kick the Christian children=A0out, too. Their parents
should have have=A0pulled them out a=A0long time=A0ago. It's safer =
outside
on the <italic>highway</italic> than in the government school
classroom.=A0

	<<snip>=A0

Allow me also to take Mr. Moffett's statement about religion as an
integral part of <italic>some</italic> classes and point out=A0that it
is <italic>impossible</italic> for any class or "subject" (though the
idea of "subjects" is a bad one anyhow. It's not how the mind works,
in my opinion) to be taught with direct foundation in God's Holy Word.

=A0

Mr. Moffett, your ecumenism of having every religion in a class taught
about seems=A0merely a grand utopia. Can you think of any schools that
have successfully implemented such a plan anywhere in the world,
without strife and division, or an undue emphasis of one religion over
another?

=A0

cheers,

=A0

Joshua N.

</excerpt>

[...]

none of them is worth a single drop of blood.=20

	Go in peace.

	Ralph Nielsen=

--Apple-Mail-6--826464777--