[Vision2020] Government killing, etc.

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:00:40 -0700

Luke writes:

"I do believe in the death penalty, and I don't dodge the fact that there is
controversy over this topic throughout our nation. But the death penalty is
a side issue; we would not need it if the ten commandments were followed
from the beginning. It is not the law of God that leads to confusion;it is
man's sinfulness, and in many cases his refusal to follow God's law that
bring about the controversies."

First, I don't buy the concept that government sanctioned killing is a law
of God. From my understating God was very forgiving, and said let vengeance
be his, not ours. We have every right to protect ourselves from people that
may do us harm. But the death penalty is not protecting us, it is only used
as an act of vengeance.

Second, it contradicts itself and generates more sin and violations of Gods
law. If a jury, a judge, and a prosecutor convict and send a person to death
for a murder they did not commit, are they not sending a person to death
that is innocent? If so, then are they not committing a murder if they
intentionally kill a person that is innocent? Under God's law, thou shall
not kill, they have broken this. In doing such they are now themselves
murderers. One could argue that the jury did not know for sure that the
person did or did not really commit the crime. Which brings me to my point,
only God can actually know this, so therefore, it is he, and he alone, that
should take vengeance. I feel that someone that wants the death penalty when
they know that we can not possibly know for 100% certainty if they are
guilty, still wants to go ahead with it, are taking on the roll of God, that
to me is spitting in the face of God. It is our job to protect the innocent
and to prevent murder. It is not our job to seek vengeance through a flawed
system of justice.

Third, the death penalty allows us a way out for helping people and taking
on the serious issues that cause people to become murderers. By saying that
we will simply kill those that kill is not addressing the issue but rather
covering the symptoms of the problem. Your average person is not a murderer.
It is easily understandable what generates a murderer. The problem is not
easy to solve, but that does not mean that we should ignore it.

Finally, the notion of "Killing people to tell people that killing people
wrong" is such a contradicting logic that it can not stand up to any
reasonable audience expect one that is full of vengeance and vindictiveness
that wishes to stand in the place of God himself.

Donovan J Arnold