[Vision2020] US Workers Adapt: moving workforce to India, els ewhere

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:52:40 -0700

Why stop there, Mr. Moffett?  Why don't we simply dissolve all unions, amend
the US Constitution making it illegal for workers to organize, and work for
whatever pennies "corporate" America is willing to part with?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Moffett [mailto:ted_moffett@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 1:47 PM
To: dale@courtneys.us
Cc: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: [Vision2020] US Workers Adapt: moving workforce to India,
elsewhere

April, 2020.

Legislation legalizing a 60 hour work week with no overtime for assembly
line manufacturing jobs at a 75 cents an hour minimum wage passed the US
Congress this week.

"It's the only way US workers can stay competitive," said an anonymous
business executive with a 7 figure salary.  "If we want to keep our
workforce employed, we must evolve to adapt to the realities of the global
marketplace.  There are hundreds of millions of willing workers overseas who

accept these conditions and pay.  American workers need to quit whining and
face reality!"

Ted

>From: "Dale Courtney" <dale@courtneys.us>
>To: <vision2020@moscow.com>
>Subject: [Vision2020] IBM sees need to shift jobs overseas: Firm seen
>moving workforce to India, elsewhere
>Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 07:47:21 -0700
>
>IBM sees need to shift jobs overseas
>Reuters
>

>Two senior officials at IBM, the world's largest computer maker, said the
>company needs to speed its efforts to move white-collar jobs to India and
>elsewhere overseas, The New York Times reported on Tuesday.
>
>IN A RECORDING of a conference call given to The New York Times by a labor
>union, top employee relations executives said IBM needed to make the same
>moves its competitors made to save money by shifting service jobs away from

>the United States.
>The article cited Forrester Research as estimating 450,000 U.S. computer
>industry jobs could be transferred overseas in the next 12 years,
>representing eight percent of U.S. computer jobs.
>
>Executives worried on the March IBM conference call that broader
>unionization could arise as the trend strengthens, The Times said.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com