[Vision2020] Cost of Government Day: ATR BIAS?

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 04:10:04 +0000

Dale, et. al.

Yes, of course, I mentioned this "cost of regulation" in my post regarding
ATR's figures.

You could make all sorts of claims that government regulation of one aspect
of life or another drives up the cost of products and services.  If slavery
was legal, think of how much cheaper products could be built with this very
inexpensive labor pool!  So we are to include the government
ban on slavery as as a "cost of government?"  Some might include migrant
workers as "slaves," and the government's toleration of illegal aliens as a
way of keeping farm labor, and other labor costs, low.

I did not see that ATR presented data on what regulations they considered
exactly as a "cost of regulation" nor what standards they used to determine
which regulation they included or not.  You make the assertion the standard
is "requirements consumers are not clamoring for."  Which just begs the
question as to what these are determined by who?

You could throw the minimum wage and child labor laws into the equation as
government regulation of business that drives up the costs of products and
services.

The ATR report mentions the new laws regulating cigarettes smoked at various
businesses as a cost of regulation, doing financial damage to bars,
restaurants, etc.  But do they include the savings that may be gained in
lowering of health care costs for medical insurance with fewer people
becoming sick from tobacco related illnesses?  I did not see any such
admission in their report (unless I missed it) raising a major question
regarding their computations of the real overall cost of this regulation to
consumers.

And the question of whether or not ATR averaged the high tax rates of the
wealthy into their equation to figure the number of days an "average
American worker" works in a year to pay their "cost of government" has not
been answered.

The tax figures given from the Tax Foundation focused on those who are truly
"average American workers," median one and two income families.

You questioned my assertion that ATR might be biased suggesting I was using
"argument ad hominem."  I am now wondering if you really understand fully
whether or not ATR's figures are misleading or biased.  It does not appear
you understand fully how ATR arrives at their figures or if their methods
are fair and accurate.

Ted