[Vision2020] Re: more on upper (Wanapum) aquifer of yore

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:43:49 -0700

Leo writes:
> A note from history - Regarding the upper (Wanapum) aquifer
> serving Moscow: If that is the same upper aquifer from which
> Moscow and the UI drew water 50 years ago, we may not wish to
> came to the university in those years (and before) remember
> it being the worst water SEEN. It turned buildings golden
> from the ground to about 3-5 feet where sprinklers reached;
> bathing in a bathtub was like a bath in weak orange juice;
> kids who spent their first summers in Moscow's public
> swimming pool didn't realize until older that it wasn't
> natural not to be able to see the bottom of the SHALLOW end
> of the pool. All the white clothing took on a warm, golden glow.

Leo, not all communities in the USA have the luxury of the quality of water
that Moscow has in the *lower* aquifer. Growing up in Florida, we had so
much lime in the water that scum would form on the horse watering troughs.
The private well user didn't have the facilities to get rid of all the lime,
iron, etc.

However, the city residents *did* use that same aquifer and was able to
process that water into normal usage.

I'm not questioning that the lower aquifer is better "straight out of the
ground" for household purposes. I am questioning that the water from the
upper aquifer is unusable and is discounted from the conversation.

Best,
Dale