[Vision2020] Re: more on upper (Wanapum) aquifer of yore

Leo Ames leoames@moscow.com
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:18:05 -0700

Dianne and Dale et al,

A note from history - Regarding the upper (Wanapum) aquifer serving Moscow:
If that is the same upper aquifer from which Moscow and the UI drew water 50
years ago, we may not wish to go back to depending only or primarily on it.
Some of us who came to the university in those years (and before) remember
it being the worst water SEEN. It turned buildings golden from the ground to
about 3-5 feet where sprinklers reached; bathing in a bathtub was like a
bath in weak orange juice; kids who spent their first summers in Moscow's
public swimming pool didn't realize until older that it wasn't natural not
to be able to see the bottom of the SHALLOW end of the pool. All the white
clothing took on a warm, golden glow.
   The "word out there" was the water was loaded with iron, perhaps other
things. Hydrologists can explain better the reasons why we don't use the
upper (Wanapum) aquifer more today.

               Leo Ames, Moscow