[Vision2020] Please Help our dying troops!

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:32:09 -0700

Mr. Arnold -

You stated:

"Are you such a man that nothing would cause you to speak out for the other
troops in your unit and take the reprimand?"

How f***ing dare you even imply that I would not support my troops.

I have gone to bat for troops within my squad (and later my platoon) several
times.  I have gone as far as putting my stripes on the Battalion
Commander's desk.  That is part of being an NCO.  I feel that if my troops
do not feel comfortable approaching me with a problem, then I have done
something wrong.  The foremost characteristic that I have emphasized in
training has always been cohesion.  Every soldier, from the newest private
up to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, should feel more willing to
discuss problems with his/her first-line supervisor than taking it up with
the media.

And what branch of the service were you in, Mr. Arnold.  For how long?

I am not suggesting that you walk a mile in someon'e shoes before you
criticise them.  But you should, at minimum know how it feels to wear them.

As far as combat tours are concerned, I served a year in Vietnam.  I don't
care to discuss that part of my life and I certainly will not discuss it
here.

Tom Hansen
SFC, U.S. Army (Retired)