[Vision2020] Video games

David Camden-Britton davidcb@acm.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:05:50 -0700

Well, I am confident that by banning violent computer and video games, we
will eliminate all violence as no one hurt each other or did terrible
things until the 1980's and the rise of violent video games. Until then,
it was a pastoral wonderland.&nbsp; <br><br>
Granted, there are some tacky games out there.&nbsp; Solution:&nbsp;
Don't buy them.&nbsp; <br><br>
Some kids are playing these games. Solution:&nbsp; Have their parents
make a command decision and restrict access to these games. <br><br>
Now, I'm not denying that a steady stream of violent images isn't
harmful, but doesn't that mean shutting off your television as well (not
a bad idea, actually)?&nbsp; <br><br>
Heck, it pays to remember that a tiny percentage of the population are
downright crazy. Regardless of their stimulus, they're going to find a
way to do something awful. So, whether it be violent video games, that
Devil Rock, religious tracts, their dog, or just the voices in their
head, these people aren't processing well and end up committing terrible
acts against their fellow man.&nbsp; It would strengthen the argument of
the people who want to ban things if they could provide solid numbers
that showed that such violent acts in children were on the rise, versus
pointing to a few well-publicized events, which were to be expected,
statistically speaking. <br><br>
At 08:03 AM 7/8/2003 -0700, you wrote:<br>
attempt in Washington state to ban games featuring the killing of
police.&nbsp; Are these games ultimately harmless, and is this much ado
about nothing?&nbsp; Or are they just wrong?&nbsp; If they are wrong,
what do we as a society do?&nbsp; Is banning an
answer?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
davidcb@acm.org</font> </body>