[Vision2020] Some quick thoughts on the Wilson camp...

Douglas Stambler ccm_moscow@yahoo.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:10:59 -0700 (PDT)

--0-157313887-1058393459=:63279

Some quick thoughts on the Wilson camp...
I've always felt weird about the Doug Wilson camp in Moscow, Idaho, and I haven't ever been able to sort through all the points at which I'm concerned, but here's one I've finally nailed down.

The Wilson Camp really puts alot of importance on classical education, and there seems to be a real emphasis on the church fathers, from the Reformation on back.

Unfortunately though, the Wilson camp is a camp without an obviously traceable history. At least I've never found one written down anywhere. Their "known" current history, as the story has been put to me, is that a few years back Doug Wilson became Reformed and guided his congregation away from a Baptist orientation into a Reformed one. Then at some point, Rev. Wilson and/or Christ Church started the Confederation of Reformed Evangelicals, a new denomination, and joined it.

Wilson then, and Christ Church, decided against joining the existing Reformed and Presbyterian denominations in North America. These denominations have distinct lineages, some tracing back far before the fouding of our country. Why would they decide to forsake denominations with rich histories? The argument cannot be made that all of these denominations had gone apostate. So why would a person and group who put so much emphasis on being historical and catholic, at a crucial developmental point, commit a decidedly un-catholic move?

Its seems a distinctively modernist thing to do.
Posted by Josiah at March 5, 2003 09:12 PM | TrackBack

--0-157313887-1058393459=:63279

<H3 class=title>Some quick thoughts on the Wilson camp...</H3>
<P>I've always felt weird about the <A href="http://http://www.christkirk.com/">Doug Wilson camp</A> in Moscow, Idaho, and I haven't ever been able to sort through all the points at which I'm concerned, but here's one I've finally nailed down.</P>
<P>The Wilson Camp really puts alot of importance on classical education, and there seems to be a real emphasis on the church fathers, from the Reformation on back.</P>
<P>Unfortunately though, the Wilson camp is a camp without an obviously traceable history. At least I've never found one written down anywhere. Their "known" current history, as the story has been put to me, is that a few years back Doug Wilson became Reformed and guided his congregation away from a Baptist orientation into a Reformed one. Then at some point, Rev. Wilson and/or Christ Church started the Confederation of Reformed Evangelicals, a new denomination, and joined it. </P>
<P>Wilson then, and Christ Church, decided <B>against</B> joining the existing Reformed and Presbyterian denominations in North America. These denominations have distinct lineages, <A href="http://www.rcus.org/">some</A> tracing back far before the fouding of our country. Why would they decide to forsake denominations with rich histories? The argument cannot be made that all of these denominations had gone apostate. So why would a person and group who put so much emphasis on being historical <B>and</B> catholic, at a crucial developmental point, commit a decidedly un-catholic move?</P>
<P>Its seems a distinctively modernist thing to do.</P><A name=more></A><SPAN class=posted>Posted by Josiah at March 5, 2003 09:12 PM | <A onclick="OpenTrackback(this.href); return false" href="http://www.chattablogs.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi?__mode=view&amp;entry_id=10">TrackBack</A> <BR></SPAN>
<DIV></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-157313887-1058393459=:63279--