[Vision2020] Stereotyping

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:30:11 +0000

Douglas, et. al.

Stereotyping people based on religion, politics, style of dress, race,
nationality, sex, locale of residence, length of hair, ethnicity, sexual
orientation, etc., appears to be a nearly universal tendency in human
beings.  I suppose it makes life easier to quickly assume you mostly know
what makes someone tick, based on a few salient characteristics, than to go
through the sometimes difficult process of trying to discover how someone
thinks and feels on every issue.  Of course this generalizing
"objectification" of the other, this deadening gaze which hardens the
"other" in ideological stone, destroys the individual's freedom of
consciousness, their potential to change, to be creative and unique.

Being a "fundamentalist" Christian pastor, you must align yourself with the
so called "Christian right wing" that backs W. Bush!

We have you neatly wrapped and packaged in our stereotyped ideological box.

Ted