[Vision2020] sexual harassment (offline)

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam@hotmail.com
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:58:01 -0700

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Sunil,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; If the suit had no merit why did Clinton settle it
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;for a sizeable sum? To make the embarrasment go away
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&gt;right? OR was he afraid of the ultimate decision? </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>To make the case go away because of the embarassment value.&nbsp;I don't think anyone was afraid of the ultimate decision, but there was going to be a whole lot of humiliation&nbsp;before the deal was over.  If Joe Sixpack had allegedly done what was alleged to have been done by Clinton, there wouldn't have been any nuisance value and likely very little to recover.&nbsp; Same thing if I were accused of this, and there were no damages.&nbsp; I doubt my malpractice insurance would cover an intentional act that is beyond the scope of my duties.</P>
<P>This suit gave the Clinton-haters the chance to pry around in his private life and see what they could find.&nbsp; And because he couldn't keep it in his pants, they found something.&nbsp; </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&gt; Also, are you saying it's OK to lie under oath?&nbsp; You don't mention that. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>That's right, I didn't mention that, but that's hardly the same as saying it's OK, wouldn't you agree?&nbsp; </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I'm certainly not shocked by it.&nbsp; I see it happen all the time, with no legal consequence.&nbsp; I'm a public defender, and I've seen cops lie on the stand at times, and I've seen the state's witnesses lie on the stand.&nbsp; At one preliminary hearing, the 'victim' was such a bad liar, the judge took a recess so the prosecutor could dismiss the case.&nbsp; Was he charged with perjury?&nbsp; No.</P>
<P>I'm not trying to excuse it, but while the scandal was slowly unwinding, I got tired of hearing people say "If it were anyone else, he'd be charged with a crime."&nbsp; No, everybody else does not get charged with perjury.&nbsp; </P>
<P>We got into this because I disagreed with your statement that the Republicans who impeached Clinton had courage.&nbsp; I still disagree.&nbsp; They thought the public would agree with them and support impeachment.&nbsp; You appear to, but on this issue, I think most people said, "OK, he lied about blow jobs.&nbsp; I would too."&nbsp; I remember David Broder's columns from that period.&nbsp; He's often labelled a liberal, and if my memory serves me correctly, he was shocked when the public didn't get behind impeachment.</P>
<P>You and I may agree on one issue.&nbsp; I would have supported impeaching Clinton for the missile attack on the pharmacy.&nbsp; But how many other people are with me on this?&nbsp; Certainly not the Republicans who voted for impeachment for perjury.&nbsp; The ability to kill people on a Presidential whim is too sacred to rise to the level of an impeachable offense.</P>