[Vision2020] uranium denial--GUTLESS DEMOS?

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:34:30 -0700

Carl writes:
> Regarding the assigning of blame, as Daniel Schorr said
> yesterday on NPR,
> John F. Kennedy refused to blame the CIA for the Bay of Pigs,
> he instead
> took the blame himself.  In a similar situation, Dwight
> Eisenhower was urged
> to blame the CIA for something that went badly (the details
> of which escape
> me, maybe someone else knows) but he also refused, saying it
> would be wrong
> to blame a subordinate.  These two examples seem to point to a huge
> difference between the Eisenhower and Kennedy presidencies
> and George W.
> Bush.  Perhaps the training wheel is coming off of Dubya's bicycle?

Carl,

This is a great observation! However, don't just limit it to Bush #2. Please
include Clinton and Bush #1 in that list, however.

One thing we learn in the military is to accept responsibility for our
actions -- and those who work for us. That was also the ethic of the
previous generation (JFK, etc). They understood what it meant to lead and be
ultimately responsible.

There has been a continual erosion of the willingness of our leaders to take
responsibility for their actions -- always seeking to blame others.

Funny, they seem to be reflecting our culture in general -- wanting to avoid
responsibility for their actions (sticking hot coffee in the lap; eating too
much junk food; smoking cigarettes; etc). They want all the benefits of a
free society but none of the responsibilities that accompany it.

Best,
Dale