[Vision2020] Cost of Government Day!

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:05:48 -0700

Dale Writes:

"The Boston Tea Party was precipitated by a 3% tax. Today, we pay 52.8% in
taxes -- and the liberals say "Hey! That's not bad!" No nation has *ever*
taxed itself into prosperity."

First, it was only about 12 people in a nation of less then 3 million that
through tea overboard. Second, it was not the 3% tax that bothered them, it
was "taxation without representation". Ever hear that term? That is where it
came from. Third, it was the fact that the tax went to King George to fight
four wars that England was involved in and did not go to colonies that
bothered the 12 people. As soon as the United States was formed taxes were
higher then 3%. The Contential Congress also taxed people a higher rate to
fight the British in the war. Finally, if no nation has ever taxed
themselves to prosperity then how can the US going from 3% tax and a nation
of 3 million and not even being recognized as a country by even the French,
to taxing 52.8% and now being nearly 300 million and the most powerful
nation in the world. According to your rule of thumb, nations and states
that tax the least should be doing better. In fact, the opposite is usually
the case. Mississippi, Arkansas, and Alabama are the least taxed and most
underdeveloped. While states like New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island
are heavily taxed and highly developed. I am not saying that a 100% tax is
good. But taxing the rich heavily and bringing that wealth to the people
that do the work has always changed society for the good. FDR knew this and
taxed the rich heavily and spent heavily, creating jobs and government
programs that provided energy, food, parks, roads, and other public services
that greatly increased the quality of life in the United States. So yes, I
think if 10% of the people have 90% of the money, tax the sh*t out of them
and give some back to the 90% of the people that do the work : ).

Donovan J Arnold