[Vision2020] When Will "FREE" TRADERS be held accountable?

Tim Lohrmann timlohr@yahoo.com
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:47:23 -0700 (PDT)

Tom,
   YES, daddy Bush and Ronnie and their neocon brain
trust were the "intellectual"(I use the term
advisedly)fathers of NAFTA.
   However, one of the big reasons Clinton got the
support of his Wall Street backers, such as his Sec.
of the Treasury who was the head of Goldman Sachs, was
because they correctly believed he'd be able to
marshall the votes in Congress to actually get the
scheme passed.
   He fought mightily and promised every porkbarrel
project he could to get the required NAFTA votes. And
despite the fact that every poll imaginable showed
that the American people opposed it by large margins,
he was successful in getting enough Demos. to peel off
and vote YES for NAFTA.
  I'll never forget the debate between Perot and
Algore on Larry King's show. Algore incorrectly stated
that the SMOOT/HAWLEY protectionist tariff legislation
brought on the great depression. He neglected to
mention that SMOOT/HAWLEY was passed in 1930. A full
year after the Wall Street crash and many years after
the agricultural sector was already in full blown
depression. Remember the dustbowl years of the 20's
and the Okies, Arkies, and etc.?
Unfortunately Perot was either uninformed or too tired
from a day of anti-NAFTA lobbying to call Al on it.
That was truly a defining moment in the debate.
   TL