[Vision2020] Religious Diversity Education

Luke lukenieuwsma@softhome.net
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 18:10:23 -0700

Hello, Mr. Moffet:
    I apologize for taking so long to give a reply. Here it is:

> is possible that Christ is our savior and you are correct!  I am also open
> to Hinduism and Islam and Buddhism, etc.  But you insist that your
> interpretation of reality must be the only correct one.  If you reply to
> this post and admit that you might be wrong, and some other religion than
> yours might be correct, than you will have shown tolerance and humility.

    You seem to think that certainty implies arrogance. But it doesn't. If I
see a green car go by, but then you say, "Look at that red car!" my
certainty that it is green does not come from pride.
    Christianity is not the truth because Luke Nieuwsma believes it, and
he's so great. Luke Nieuwsma is Not so great, and he believes it because it
is the truth.

> >Well then, to return to that metaphor, you couldn't stick NBA players and
> >NCAA players on the same court, tell them to all follow their particular
> >rules, and have a good game. The result would be truly chaotic.
>
> Again, this is ridiculous, like saying the Bible and the Koran should be
> read and chanted side by side in the same church.  No one is suggesting
> playing the "game" of religion at the same time on the same court with
> differing rules.

    Actually, some have already tried it. On the day after 9/11, there was a
universal church service in DC where religions of all sorts came together in
a theological hodge-podge, and the church attendies had a four(plus)-fruit
spiritual smoothie drink for their souls.
    Even you admit that this is absurd. You admit that Islamic and Christian
worship cannot be practiced inside the same building. But they also cannot
be practiced in the same nation without incongruity. People are simply
living out what is read in worship, and if those things are contradictory,
then you cannot have them at the same time. Even if you're "tolerant."

> >Actually, this nation was constructed as a republic, not a democracy.
Look
> >at the history. Look at the pledge. "I pledge allegiance to the flag, and
> >the Republic for which it stands..."
>
> You are ignoring your completely false statement that Democrats are
> non-Christian!  Will you admit this was wrong?

    I was making a generalization. I admit that there are some Christian
Democrats who are more conservative than some Republicans, and there are
some non-Christian Republicans who are more liberal than some Democrats.
However, the statement applies to at least 60%, if not more, of the D's.

> Again, more extreme all or nothing, black and white thinking.  Many people
> believe in their religion, but still are open to other faiths and have
some
> doubt about their own faith.  They are not as arrogant as you think they
all
> are.  And I have much doubt about about my own views of religion and
> spirituality, so I am not saying my understanding is the right one.

    Then why do you express it on the list? You see, Mr. Moffet, you are
running
into contradictions again. You say that you really aren't sure about
religious truth, but you are definitely sure about one thing - no one can be
truly sure about anything!
    You have a moral compass spray-painted over by cameleon-blue paint, and
you don't want to clean it off. You try to dodge absolute truth, and then
you turn around and try to chuck it at me. You basically say that we can't
be
certain. Yet you are certain about that.
    And you call my arguments "silly logic games," but that simply means you
cannot refute them. One army can yell insults at the other, but arrows are
what thin the ranks.

Sincerely and respectfully,
Luke Nieuwsma