[Vision2020] Religious Diversity Education

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:30:14 +0000

Luke et. al.

>Mr. Moffet:
>
> > Again, you adopt an extreme interpretation of how much we all must think
>and
> > act the same before chaos engulfs us.
>
>It already has engulfed us. Look at the courts, look at politics. The
>world,
>the US, Idaho, none of it is peaceful. Controversy wracks us continually.

I find Moscow to be a very peaceful place.  I would not live here if it was
not peaceful.  The words "chaos engulfs us" have a strong meaning which does
not describe Moscow, so I must disagree with your statement that "It has
already engulfed us."

> > What you are saying is truly frightening in the stereotyping and
> > oversimplifications you make of complex issues!  If you can't see that
>this
> > sort of extreme thinking is what leads to wars, then you need religious
> > diversity education desperately.
>
>I never said exclusive thinking doesn't lead to wars. But I can see
>something quite clearly; you are intolerant. You don't tolerate anyone who
>thinks they are really right; you claim that your view of life and religion
>is the only correct one, and that I should adopt your position.

Again you play silly logical games to attempt to paint me as intolerant when
I object to extremist views of absolutist religions.  I do not deny that it
is possible that Christ is our savior and you are correct!  I am also open
to Hinduism and Islam and Buddhism, etc.  But you insist that your
interpretation of reality must be the only correct one.  If you reply to
this post and admit that you might be wrong, and some other religion than
yours might be correct, than you will have shown tolerance and humility.
But I will only laugh at your silly logical games that paint me as
intolerant when I attempt to show open mindedness and tolerance towards all
the worlds religions.  I do show tolerance toward your religion.  But I will
object to extremist form of religious belief or secular belief that are
intolerant toward other religions or belief systems.   Do you understand
what I mean?

> > Remember my comments on the rules of basketball differing and being
>changed
> > yet the game is still played according to rules with people enjoying the
> > sport?  How can the NBA and the NCAA have differing rules yet both
>leagues
> > play in an organized manner?  They don't wage battles to force one
>league
> > play with the same rules as the other league.   Hey, this basketball
> > metaphor is your creation, so if the reality of how basketball is played
> > does not fit your worldview, you should have picked a different
>metaphor.
>
>Well then, to return to that metaphor, you couldn't stick NBA players and
>NCAA players on the same court, tell them to all follow their particular
>rules, and have a good game. The result would be truly chaotic.

Again, this is ridiculous, like saying the Bible and the Koran should be
read and chanted side by side in the same church.  No one is suggesting
playing the "game" of religion at the same time on the same court with
differing rules.

So you think I am suggesting your pastor read the Bible while someone else
chants the Koran at the same time in the same church?  Very funny!

> > So why can't the Islamic and Christian communities each have their own
> > religious "league" and play their game, and leave the other league
>alone?
>
>Because we're all on the same playing court in the same game.

This is just plain false.  Iran can have their Islamic society.  I am not in
Iran on their "court."  Neither are you.

> > stereotyping at work.   But there are differences of opinion that are
> > debated and argued and a compromise is reached.  Democracy is not a
>pretty
> > and efficient machine, but it is constructed here in the USA in theory
> > prevent any one group from gaining total control of our government or
> > society.
>
>Actually, this nation was constructed as a republic, not a democracy. Look
>at the history. Look at the pledge. "I pledge allegiance to the flag, and
>the Republic for which it stands..."

You are ignoring your completely false statement that Democrats are
non-Christian!  Will you admit this was wrong?

Furthermore, do you not believe in compromise in the US Congress between
Democrats and Republicans?
This was all I meant by saying we reach compromises in our government
between differing political groups, and that principles of Democracy are at
work here, that are not just "chaotic," rather than principles based on
authoritarian rule, which does not allow citizens to vote on their
representatives in government.  I was not attempting to get into a political
science debate about our form of government being a "Republic" or a
"Democracy."  You are trying to change the subject, and misrepresenting my
argument.

> > It appears from your comments that you do not respect the principles of
> > democracy, you want us to all be singing your tune, and any disagreement
>on
> > religion or ethics will be met with a hysteria based on a fear of chaos
>and
> > disorder.
>
>Well, it seems pretty clear to me that this is indeed what we have in the
>world.
>

> > BTW, I know very well the world is not all fine and dandy, and those
>with
> > rigid irrational views of how we all should think and act the same, are
> > large part of the reason.
>
>By your own logic, you are one of them. You deny everyone who thinks that
>their religion is the right one (which is 99% of the world), and yet you
>claim that your understanding is the right one. You see, realistically
>there
>can
>only be one. You're in this with us.

Again, more extreme all or nothing, black and white thinking.  Many people
believe in their religion, but still are open to other faiths and have some
doubt about their own faith.  They are not as arrogant as you think they all
are.  And I have much doubt about about my own views of religion and
spirituality, so I am not saying my understanding is the right one.  I am
open to many different ways of viewing these issues, and someone who insists
their one way of looking at religion must be the only way, with no doubt at
all, is being arrogant.  I of course know that extremist thinking is common
in the world, even among "secular" belief systems, like Communism and
Fascism as forms of government.  And I find all absolutist belief systems to
be flawed.  There are too many variables, and human knowledge is too
uncertain, for people to be pompously claiming to have found the ultimate
truth about life and human beings, with no significant doubts or competing
options remaining.

If you can't grasp this simple idea regarding open minded views of religion,
if you think there is no other way than to be absolutist in your thinking,
you are twisting concepts of probability and truth to suit your agenda.  But
the many different ways of looking at religion as practiced by people around
the world does not fit the procrustean bed of your absolutist thinking.

Ted