[Vision2020] Racism

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:23:26 -0700

Dear visionaries,

Sunil, thanks for the interaction. I don't have any problem agreeing with
you that in looking for the motive forces for the colonialism of the
British Empire, and now the emerging American Empire, one of the central
things we should do is follow the money. My point was not that (for
example) the British Empire was motivated by kindness. My point was that in
such racist societies, individuals who are kind people can share those
widespread racist assumptions. The attempt to demonize every member of such
a society, making them all into orcs and klingons, is misguided in the
extreme, and tends to trivialize the rhetoric of the whole thing, which was
my initial point.

Speaking of rhetoric, Joan is really good at it. She has a real flair for
words, which I (really) appreciate and enjoy. And when she employs her gift
in the advancement of moral indignation, her gift really shines.
Unfortunately, without the traction of moral absolutes, her tires can go
*really* fast, and we never seem to get anywhere.

Is sophistry bad? Bigotry? Outright lies? Gee whiz. I thought that we as a
people had grown past this kind of stale absolutist fundamentalism. No one
died and left Joan the Sunday School schoolmarm. Now, mind you, as a
confessing Christian, I think all the nasty things Joan identified are in
fact sinful. Really sinful. I believe that God will eternally judge
sophists, bigots, and liars on the Last Day. But what does Joan think the
difference between a Georgia cracker (old style Ole Miss racial
preferences) and a wine and cheese liberal (new style University of
Michigan racial preferences) will be one hundred and fifty years from now?
What difference does it make? What kind of people will we be *forever*?

Simple question. Is it absolutely morally wrong to be a racial bigot? I
believe so. What do you all think?

Cordially, your fellow Southerner,

Douglas