[Vision2020] Racism

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:39:28 -0700

Thus spake Moscow's answer to Zarathustra:

>In our discussions, we have to beware of racism inflation. In contemporary
>public discourse, such charges are too readily leveled as the all-purpose
>trump card. Why don't we agree to reserve it for those who believe and
>affirm that one race is (racially) superior to another? With this more
>precise definition, it would even be possible for the sin of racial
>animosity to occur without the (distinct) sin of racism. The world is a
>complicated place, and not made out of cardboard. For example, is it
>possible to acknowledge the existence of malicious egalitarians and
>benevolent racists?

I am sorry, Doug, but this is a piece of sophistry worthy of Old Nick.  What
is the point in trying to conceive of a situation in which it would be
possible to hate the members of a particular race without being racist?
Conscience cleansing?  Despising others without having to go to the expense
of actually purchasing sheets?

I don’t know that I am the only Southerner on this list, but in the current
context I am perhaps the only one to admit it.  My family has lived in North
Carolina for three hundred and fifty years, and in that time, we have done
our fair share of odious things—held slaves, supported segregation, and
worked like hell to deny blacks the vote.  But times, thank God, have
changed.  Today, not a man jack of us, not even the Dixiecrat/Republicans,
would consider enlisting in the League of the South, an organization so
redolent of brachycephalic cretinism that it’s a wonder its members can walk
upright.  A cursory glance at the collection of drafty misinformation,
bigotry, and outright lies resident on the League of the South web-site
suggests to me that while their ancestors were stripping the bark off trees
looking for fat, juicy grubs, mine were inventing the shrimp fork.

In the name of civic decency, I implore all defenders of the League of the
South to cease your recitation of Jim Crow’s greatest hits and instead pick
up a copy of Barbara Woodhouse’s ‘No Bad Dogs.’  It’s perfectly clear that
what you fellows need is a chew toy.  A rawhide, a rubber rolled newspaper,
or a squeaky plastic hamburger would do nicely.

Less talkie, more walkies,

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment