[Vision2020] Heaven and hell?

Luke lukenieuwsma@softhome.net
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:00:16 -0700

Hello, Mr. Nielsen,

Thanks for your reply, but I find myself in considerable disagreement with
you.

> have been done in the name of a god. He also seems to imply that it is
> the threat of postmortem punishment by a god that makes people behave
> morally. This is flatly contradicted by the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament
> to Christians).

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom
and instruction - Prov 1:7
The Hebrew word for "fear" there is yir'ah, a moral/reverent fear, since you
don't seem to trust modern translations.

> In the Hebrew religion there is no such thing as a separate soul and
> there is no life after death. In the entire Old Testament not one
> single person dies and goes to heaven.

I believe you are incorrect. Consider Psalm 17:15 -
"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I will be satisfied when
I awake in your likeness."

And no one dies and goes to hell
> either (except in dishonest translations like the King James Version).

Take a look at Prov 1:12
"12 Let us swallow them alive like Sheol, and whole, like those who go down
to the Pit."
Sheol, or she'owl is the Hebrew word for hell.
How about Isaiah 14:15? Or Ezekiel 32:24? The latter in particular draws a
contrast between hell and the land of the living.
There are hundreds more quotations I could refer to. I know you have a good
deal of bible knowledge, but if you think that the OT does not include
heaven and hell, you must have missed some things.

> I'm afraid Luke Nieuwsma is mistaken to think that most people act
> morally only by a bribe of heaven or a threat of hell.

It is not a bribe, it is a gift if  you turn from immorality to Christ. But
hell is not a threat, it is our just deserts.

Best,
Luke Nieuwsma