[Vision2020] Free Speech and Crazy Bush

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:55:09 +0000

All:

The argument we being presented by the Bush administration to justify war
against Iraq is kept simple, partly for the utility of the media sound bites
needed to manipulate public sentiment.  We are told Iraq sponsors terrorism,
is secretly harboring or developing weapons of mass destruction, and
threatens other nations in the middle east, all while flaunting United
Nation resolutions to disarm.  OK.

Let's look at a current U.S. alley, Pakistan, a dictatorship with Musharraf
as despot that without doubt harbors supporters of Osama Bin Laden's Islamic
fundamentalist terrorists, and absolutely has weapons of mass destruction,
nuclear weapons in fact.  Pakistan not only threatens India with nuclear
weapons, but also engages in brutal acts of terrorism against civilians in
India, the worlds largest Democracy.
It appears all the reasons to bomb Iraq also apply to Pakistan.

Of course Musharraf claims his government and military do not support these
terrorist attacks, or Osama Bin Laden, and have rational control over their
nuclear weapons, but any student of Pakistan's politics can tell you their
are elements within Musharaff's government and military who sympathize with
Islamic fundamentalist terrorism.

Why are we not demanding that Musharraf and Pakistan disarm their weapons of
mass destruction, eliminate the supporters of Osama Bin Laden within their
borders, and stop all terrorism against India, or we will bomb them?

Of course there are numerous and complicated geo-politcal-economic strategic
reasons that would require deatiled exploration to answer that question
fully.  But I think it is clear the propaganda we are being fed by the Bush
administration does not offer the public in America the actual strategic
thinking that is really behind this pending war.