[Vision2020] Donald Rumsfeld-speak

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:00:34 -0800

Sunil:

You posted..."
> You assume that things in Iraq would have been better had we toppled
> Hussein.  However, given our history of installing and/or supporting
> rulers who kill both their own subjects and sometimes those of their
> neighbors, I don't make the same assumption."

...so, how do you explain the present-day democratic states of the
Federal Republic of Germany, Japan and South Korea?

Although I personally oppose the invasion of Iraq at this point, I did
support the war in 1991, and if compelling evidence of weapons of mass
destruction is uncovered either by U.S. or allied intelligence or by
the U.N inspectors, my stance will change.

I must admit to becoming increasingly uncomfortable reading the antiwar
postings on this site, because I have the feeling that many people
posting would oppose any military action in Iraq for any reason
whatsoever, and I strongly disagree with that viewpoint.  There are
very few objective Historians who believe that "violence never solves
anything".

If Saddam Hussein can be shown to have substantial amounts of bugs, gas
or nukes, in egregious violation of the 1991 treaty, the U.S.
government has a responsibility to take them away from him or destroy
them.  They have a responsibility to protect the people of the United
States from serious threats of harm.  That is what the U.S. military
exists for.

Don Kaag