[Vision2020] Fwd: Help us get to 200,000 by tomorrow

Ry Jones v2020@ryjones.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:06:56 -0800

I don't consider the message forged, however, the results are easily forged.
Saying "we only need 250 more from Idaho!" is meaningless when you can write
a script in a few minutes to grab stuff out of the phone book and stuff the
results. Are they going to have the results of the campaign audited by a Big
Five (er, Big Four, um Big Three) accounting firm? No.

Online polls and calls to action such as this are a distraction for
activists. They do not accomplish anything.

Looking at the web page, it is trivial to write the script I talked about
since you just need to generate urls out of people's info and visit them.
One could write a script to register every single phone having person in the
US with this campaign in a few minutes; let it run for a few days and you're
done. Whee.