[Vision2020] Legislative Update week 1 - January 6-10, 2003

RepTrail RepTrail@infotrail.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:53:33 -0600

Dear Visionaries:

This is the first Legislative Newsletter of the year.  You can contact me
via e mail, phone, fax, or conventional mail:

ttrail@house.state.id.us in Boise
tel (208) 332-1202,
fax (208) 334-5397

Rep. Tom Trail
Idaho State Legislature
State Capitol Building
Boise, ID 83720-0038

If you do not want to receive this newsletter then reply to this message or
email webmaster@infotrail.com

  1.  Governor Kempthorne's State of the State speech   --  The Governor
probably gave his best speech.  With the State in deep financial trouble,
he firmly bit the bullet and laid out what the severe consequences would be
if there were no tax increases.  He said that cutting the state's most
vital services was unacceptable.  The 1.5 percent increase in sales tax
will raise a projected $250 million coupled with his proposed increase in
the cigarette tax.  Many Democrats and some Republicans oppose an increase
in the sales tax because it is a regressive tax and hits low income
families the hardest.  Rep. Alan Andersen (D) Pocatello and I will be
introducing tax legislation which proposes to reduce the sales tax from 5%
to 4% but through eliminating a number of tax and sales tax exemptions
could raise $130 million for the General Fund.  The decrease in sales tax
would make border cities like Moscow and Lewiston more competitive with our
Washington consumers.

   2.  Budget  --  The highest legislative priority for District 6 is to
secure adequate funding for K-12 and Higher Education.  Let's take a look
at the Governor's budget: expected revenues are projected at $2.03
billion.  This starts with $l.8 billion from projected revenues which
includes $240 million from sales tax increase and $28.7 million from a
higher cigarette tax.  On the expenditure side there is $5.5 million for a
higher grocery credit, $13.4 million for refund fund, $17.9 for the rainy
day fund, $31 million for tobacco settlement fund, and $20.7 million for
the state construction account.

       For expenses we start with $1.9 billion Idaho's base budget plus $93
million for inflation, capital expenses, and higher enrollment and
caseloads.  If the tax increases raise the $250 million then this means a
2.1% increase for K-12 public education.  For Higher Education it would
mean a 4.2% increase for the three universities and LCSC or a total of
$222.5 million.  The Governor also wants to release funds for capital
improvements which would allow the completion of the UCC at the U. of
Idaho.  This $10.5 million would have a very favorable impact on our local
economy.

       State employees will receive coverage against significant increases
in health insurance premiums, but no pay increase for the second year in a
row.  There are some legislators including conservatives who will be
working toward legislation that would at least add a 1% increase to state
employee salaries.

       Further savings in Medicaid costs will be pursued, but a 5% increase
in the reimbursement for foster families and continued state subsidization
of the cost over $5,000 of catastrophic health care for poor people
suffering from smoking related illnesses will be covered.

       The Governor has provided some room to compromise with
conservatives.  There is about $70 million directed toward "savings"
account funds.  There is no certainty that the Legislature will "buy" the
Governor's budget, but I will certainly be working with all stakeholders to
see that we get the funds needed to support education, Medicaid, and other
essential services.

       The battles lines are drawn and next week we'll get into some
specific legislative issues.

       Rep. Tom Trail/Dist. 6

Dr. Tom Trail
International Trails