[Vision2020] Latah County Courthouse Expansion Bond Election

Bill London london@moscow.com
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 10:09:36 -0800

--------------4E66C32CE77C9BA5808F8A2B

    My thanks to both Chris Storhok and Jack Nelson in requesting input
regarding the Feb. bond election ($2.5million for expanding the Latah
County Courthouse).
    I do have some questions and concerns about this bond election and
the courthouse expansion project.
    1. Given the pathetic economic situation (and especially the UI
budget woes) and the hardship that raising taxes to pass this bond would
create, would it be reasonable to rent space to ease the overcrowding?
The licensing office moved out of the courthouse to rented space at the
Eastside Marketplace years ago--has that been a problem?
    2. About $20,000 of taxpayer money is being spent on an "education"
campaign that so far seems like one-sided advertising to support the
bond.  Is this expense alienating voters and making the bond passage
less likely?
    3. Why was it necessary to incur the expense of a special election
in February?  Could this bond have been combined with other elections
later in the year?
    4. The expansion will require the cutting of the beautiful spruce
tree in the parking lot at the courthouse (the "Grace Wicks Tree").  Was
any thought given to saving that tree?
BL

Chris Storhok wrote:

> Dear Visionaries,
> The Latah County Commissioners have decided to hold an election for a
> bond issue for a courthouse addition on Feb 4, 2003. The bond will be
> for $2.5 million and will pay for construction of a approximately
> 16,800 square feet addition to the present courthouse as well as
> remodeling of the old wing. The new addition will attach to the
> northeast corner of the current courthouse and will run parallel to
> 5th street.  As you are aware we are in the process of trying to
> educate the public for the need for this expansion.   It has come to
> our attention that some members of the public still have ideas and/or
> concerns about the project the the commissioners may have not
> addressed.   We are inviting you to let us know your ideas, comments,
> or concerns and we will respond to your issues.  You can contact us
> either through giving us a call, personally visiting us, or posting to
> Vision 2020.  Latah County has posted information about this project
> on its web site www.latah.id.us.
>
> Thanks,
> Commissioner Jack Nelson
> jnelson@latah.id.us
>
> and
> Chris Storhok
> Latah County Rural Development Services
>
> cstorhok@latah.id.us

--------------4E66C32CE77C9BA5808F8A2B

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My thanks to both Chris Storhok and Jack Nelson in requesting
input regarding the Feb. bond election ($2.5million for expanding the Latah
County Courthouse).
bond election and the courthouse expansion project.
the UI budget woes) and the hardship that raising taxes to pass this bond
would create, would it be reasonable to rent space to ease the overcrowding?&nbsp;
The licensing office moved out of the courthouse to rented space at the
Eastside Marketplace years ago--has that been a problem?
on an "education" campaign that so far seems like one-sided advertising
to support the bond.&nbsp; Is this expense alienating voters and making
the bond passage less likely?
a special election in February?&nbsp; Could this bond have been combined
with other elections later in the year?
beautiful spruce tree in the parking lot at the courthouse (the "Grace
Wicks Tree").&nbsp; Was any thought given to saving that tree?
election for a bond issue for a courthouse addition on Feb 4, 2003. The
bond will be for $2.5 million and will pay for construction of a approximately
16,800 square feet addition to the present courthouse as well as remodeling
of the old wing. The new addition will attach to the northeast corner of
the current courthouse and will run parallel to 5th street.&nbsp; As you
are aware we are in the process of trying to educate the public for the
need for this expansion.&nbsp;&nbsp; It has come to our attention that
some members of the public still have ideas and/or concerns about the project
the the commissioners may have not addressed.&nbsp;&nbsp; We are inviting
you to let us know your ideas, comments, or concerns and we will respond
to your issues.&nbsp; You can contact us either through giving us a call,
personally visiting us, or posting to Vision 2020.&nbsp; Latah County has
posted information about this project on its web site www.latah.id.us.</font>

--------------4E66C32CE77C9BA5808F8A2B--