[Vision2020] Ike and the Rose Bowl

Tim Lohrmann timlohr@yahoo.com
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 11:15:54 -0800 (PST)

Whoa Don, aren't we feeling all uppity today?
I feel terrible not knowing what a bagatelle is.

Since you're reading all about Ike (or at least what
Ambrose was able to um...dig up) here's a contribution
from the National Archives bio of ole Dwight:

"Although Dwight attracted little attention in the
classroom, he stood out in athletic competition
through grade school and high school. After graduating
from Abilene High School in 1909, Dwight went to work
in the creamery, partly to support an older brother in
college. He took a competitive examination for an
appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy, both because a
free education was too good to pass up and because of
the opportunity to play football. He passed the
examination, then found that he was too old to go to
Annapolis and instead in 1911 went to the Military
Academy at West Point.
Sports were his all-consuming interest. At the academy
he was average in everything else. During his second
year Eisenhower played halfback on the Army team, and
sportswriters began to predict All-American honors for
him, but a twisted knee during the season ruined his
football career. The blow to his emotions was worse.
His roommate described Eisenhower as a man who had
lost interest in life. Eisenhower graduated in 1915,
61st in a class of 164."

Hmm....looks like College sports offered one of the
only chances Ike had for advanced education. Sports
were his #1 interest.
Maybe we low-class peasants who enjoy watching and
jawing about it now and then aren't completely
hopeless.
TL