[Vision2020] Boxing

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 02:42:41 EST

--part1_187.1643b250.2b8f1b71_boundary

Dear Visionaries,
At first I was puzzled that our local *Christian* school would sponsor a
fight night.  Why would anyone pay to watch youngsters (and older "heavy
weights") demonstrated how adroitly they can turn the other cheek?  On the
other hand, what kind of person could describe this abusive spectacle as a
"night of fun?"
Then it struck me that Joyce Carol Oates had it exactly right. "[Boxing is] a
celebration of the lost religion of masculinity all the more trenchant for
its being lost."  Joyce Carol Oates On Boxing Doubleday 87, quoted in
Newsweek 9 Mar 87.

Rosemary Huskey

--part1_187.1643b250.2b8f1b71_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Dear Visionaries,<BR>
At first I was puzzled that our local *Christian* school would sponsor a fig=
ht night.&nbsp; Why would anyone pay to watch youngsters (and older "heavy w=
eights") demonstrated how adroitly they can turn the other cheek?&nbsp; On t=
he other hand, what kind of person could describe this abusive spectacle as=20=
a "night of fun?"<BR>
Then it struck me that Joyce Carol Oates had it exactly right. "[Boxing is]=20=
a celebration of the lost religion of masculinity all the more trenchant for=
 its being lost."&nbsp; Joyce Carol Oates <U>On Boxing</U> Doubleday 87, quo=
ted in Newsweek 9 Mar 87.<BR>
<BR>
Rosemary Huskey<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_187.1643b250.2b8f1b71_boundary--