[Vision2020] Why doesn't the Sisterhood learn to shoot?

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:50:18 +0000

Don, et. al.

Your insistence on total self determination for adults, with people getting
what they work and pay for, often does not fit the facts of human life.  No
one is a self made human being, with DNA, social position and upbringing
being forces not freely chosen by children.  And being an "adult" does not
suddenly confer special powers that create a being of total control over the
forces in life.  Many people do not work to get what they have, it is handed
to them on a silver platter.  And many other people work their asses off,
and still get screwed over in one way or another.  To deny this is to deny
the facts.  The flat out bare bones facts of how unfair and just plain cruel
life can be, or how tremendous privilege and wealth are given freely to some
individuals.  No one is totally a controller of their own destiny, and if
this is the American dream, as you state, well, the world is full of
dreamers who have them shattered.  Of course I am not saying that self
determination and hard work are not worthwhile values, but they are only
part of the picture of what constitutes human life.
You oversimplified the issue of self determination in human life, and then
stated that I will never concede your point about self determination.  In
the way that you stated your point you are right, I will not concede the
oversimplification you stated.  Oversimplifying complex moral and ethical
issues does not advance a discussion about freedom and self determination in
human life, it is aimed at ending it.

Ted