[Vision2020] vendor ordinance

Mark Rounds ltrwritr@moscow.com
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:11:02 -0800 (PST)

There have been a number of questions asked.  It is true that none of them
have been specifically addressed to the City Council, they were addressed in
very much the same manner as were the questions you did respond to.  I hope
we aren't getting into a hair splitting contest here.

Several folks asked about the purpose of this ordinance.  You did say that
it was for the Council to respond to.  I take it that has has at least been
passed on?

Others that were asked were as follows:

Bill London asked the following questions:

If the council passes this ordinance, will the vendors at the Tuesday
Grower's Market at the Moscow Food Co-op parking lot be cited if they do
not get an expensive permit?

What about the vendors at the more unorganized events at East City Park,
like the HempFest?

What is the problem this ordinance is designed to solve?

Debbie Gray asked the following question:

Slap me if I'm wrong but I am guessing that these activities already have
a valid concession agreement and that these activities are NOT what the
target is. More importantly, does this include people peddling/vending
topless carwashes?

John Danahy asked the following questions:

The first and foremost important question should be:

Why do this??

Is the goal to stop something someone considers bad from happening?  If so
what and why?

Is the goal to make money for the city??
If so, why?

Is the goal to regulate?  Again, Why??

Granted this is only a draft ordinance, and granted I only gave it a
cursory reading, but it seems to me that under the wording as stated in
the draft, every individual Girl Scout will have to be registered, and
provide proof of non-profit status, before selling cookies door to door.
I certainly do not see this as needed, unless this is another example of
an ordinance that the city council expects to be "selectively enforced".

Sunil Ramalingam asked the following question:

So the folks who sell crafts, photographs, clothes, etc., items that are not
fruits, vegetables or farm or garden products at the Farmers Market would be
subject to the ordinance?  What about prepared food, such as the excellent
grilled beef?

Don Coombs had the following statement:

To follow up on Walter's post, there are many things sold at
Farmers' Market that are not fruits, vegetables and farm or
garden products. I trust at some point whoever is pushing
this ordinance will let us know why we need it.

Janesta Sullivan asked the following question:

What is the revenue from this going to be used for?

I asked about the restriction in hours and days of business clause.  Does
this cause a legal problem when other local businesses do not have those
sorts of restrictions?

Also in my reading of this document, it will make trade shows, gun shows and
things like the Home and Garden subject to that ordinance.  Is that the intent?

Folks if I misquoted or fumbled the cut and paste, please correct me, but
this is just a quick look at what I still have left on my box that I haven't
deleted.  A full list can be found in the archives of this listserve that
are readily available.

I hope this helps.  I am really trying to be supportive here.

Mark Rounds