[Vision2020] "Proposal would let schools ban books" (fwd)

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:29:06 -0800

Carl:

Book banning is bizarre.  Liberals and Conservatives have both done it.

When I lived in Helena, Montana, local Liberals tried to have
"Huckleberry Finn" and "Tom Sawyer" taken out of the public library on
the grounds that Twain frequently used the word "Nigger", and that
children shouldn't be subjected to such politically-incorrect language.
  I don't suppose any of them had ever read it, because if they had they
would have realized that the ironic and satirical Mr. Clemens wrote the
book, in part, as an anti-Slavery and discrimination polemic.

Sigh.  The dumb we will always have with us, on both sides of the aisle.

Regards,

Don Kaag
(Whose wife is a librarian, and who holds uncensored libraries and the
freedom to read as semi-sacred in a democracy.)