[Vision2020] Antiwar Rallies/Attack Irag Now

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:11:47 -0800

At 03:48 PM 2/19/2003 -0500, WMSteed@aol.com wrote:
>So the notion that we are not a "first strike" country becomes a death
>sentence for us, if we allow this to happen first, before we take action.

Name one military dictator throughout history who wouldn't have taken
advantage of such a rationalization.

Any country can make such a claim and, in effect, use such a claim to
attack, preemptively, another country.  In fact, under such
rationalization, Iraq would have a legitimate basis for attacking the
United States, as the Commander in Chief of the U.S. is not covertly, but
openly, planning to attack Iraq with weapons of mass destruction.  Even the
use of nuclear arms is on the table.

Before Bush Sr. launched his attack on Iraq, there was much discussion in
the U.S. press as to legal grounds, under international law, for going to
war.  The mainstream press has fully avoided the issue this time around,
for obvious reasons.  While there could be rational debate in 1990 and 1991
as to whether a U.S. attack could be "legal" under international law, an
attack on Iraq as proposed by the Bush Jr. admin would clearly be
illegal.  Preemptive strikes are not legal under international
law.  Nations launching preemptive strikes are clearly labeled aggressors.

There may be times when it is tactically wise to use a preemptive strike,
but the nation that does so forever abandons the claim that its action was
defensive.

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.
Moscow, ID  83843