[Vision2020] City Staff Pay/Teachers' Pay

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:08:19 -0800

It is interesting to me to note that the City of Moscow
recently decided to convert from a traditional pay grid to a
 "pay for performance" process.  Most, but not all, of the
public comment in opposition to the proposal had to do
with the cities that were used for comparisons to establish
 what Moscow "should" be paying and whether the
process  was going to be applied fairly (particularly,
department  heads receiving increases to the higher
"market" rate  while some employees would only receive
increases to  the "minimum").  There was a minimum of
heat  generated over whether a performance standard
was a  good idea.  The City of Lewiston was held up as a
model  for where the performance plan has been
successful.

There are pretty obvious problems with both plans.  The
grid allows an employee to "skate"--getting by on the very
minimum performance standard to not only retain his job
but also to receive her raise.  The performance standard
requires someone to evaluate performance, a process
that is subject to abuse, misevaluation, and "playing
favorites."

I'm not advocating anything here.  I'm just wondering
where I would land on the issue if I were voting and
whether I would use a different compensation plan for
one set of public employees than another.   I see  good
reasons to retain the grid for teachers.   I also see  some
merit to the ideas of  (1) encouraging teachers, by
different rates of pay for different jobs, to enter one area
where more are needed  (whether that's math/science,
history, or basket-weaving)  and (2) to encourage
continual improvement of their "teaching," by basing pay
upon performance--however we choose to measure that
(I would, for example, suggest  we not simply look at the
"output" of students on standardized  tests).

If I opted for a performance pay system I would
particularly want to incorporate a provision similar to the
city plan that insures that all employees who meet (at
least) minimum standards will receive any raise
necessary to keep them at the minimum pay for their
position.  They could not remain "frozen" at a pay rate
indefinitely.  They just might not receive the additional pay
 that comes with good to exceptional performance.

Mike Curley