[Vision2020] Why doesn't the Sisterhood learn to shoot?

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 02:04:32 +0000

Don, et. al.

As a matter of fact, women are still "held back" by men from being as
capable of self defense as men are, and thus are led to expect to be
defended by men, due to a variety of expectations and behaviors dealing with
the complex issues of gender and sexism in the USA.  The role women are
expected to play in the ethics of certain powerful fundamentalist Christian
sects right now in the USA discourages women from assuming aggressive self
defense oriented behaviors.

In some other countries far more sexist than our freedom loving culture,
women are oppressed in the extreme and lack the capability for defense
against just about everything. Things are changing though of course here in
the USA.  Many more women than in the past are capable of self defense.

As to the Susan B Anthony quote on bjcraw's e-mail, so what?  Many people
feel strongly enough about a specific issue to put a quote attached to all
their e-mails as food for thought for anyone interested.  If you are not
interested in the message of the quote, ignore it.

What is the big problem with short inspirational messages on peoples
e-mails, I wonder?

Other complaints have been made on vision2020 about this practice, but it
seemed the complaints have been inspired by a dislike of the message, rather
than any real problem created by a short thoughtful quote tacked on to the
end of an e-mail.

Ted