[Vision2020] Gas Prices

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 09:16:43 -0800

Bill:

Lewiston gas prices are normally lower in all grades than Moscow in all
seasons, a much-belabored subject for many years in both the local
press and on Vision 2020, so it is unusual for Lewiston to be higher
than we.  I am sure Busch Distributors will wake up and raise our
prices so they are again higher than Lewiston... be patient.

Additionally, we are nearing Spring.  As everyone knows, every Spring
gas and oil prices skyrocket, as the major petroleum companies prepare
to gouge the great American public on their summer vacations.  This
year the excuse will be unrest in the Middle East.  Unrest in the
Middle East has been going on at least since some Egyptian farmer
managed to grow more grain than he could eat, and started trading his
surplus to someone else in the Middle East or the Mediterranean rim for
something else.  "Unrest" has nothing to do with it.  While the Middle
East has a bunch of oil, so do Scotland and Norway in the North Sea,
Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, Nigeria, and Indonesia, to name a few.  And
more reserves keep being found in West Africa, Western Brazil and the
South China Sea.  There is no world oil shortage at present.

One of these years, absent any critical events in the Middle East, the
press will do serious think-pieces on the Springtime skyrocketing of
gas prices, based upon the sudden return of the swallows to Capistrano,
or the fact that Brittany Spears or Madonna found clothes and plan to
enter a nunnery.

Cynically Yours,

Don Kaag